There are over 150,000 abandoned/vacant lots in Detroit creating dumping grounds for debris and a magnet for danger and violence all over the city. These locations take away the visual appeal of our city, put our children in danger and decrease the value of the land and the neighborhoods that these lots reside. We can change this with Community Pop Up Art Exhibition Project.
This project takes abandoned lots, clean them up and then place public art from local artist on the land; transforming it into a space that can be used by the neighborhood. Community Pop Up Art Exhibition Project provides a clean, safe community spaces for family and neighbors to connect while revitalizing their neighborhoods. Cleaning up the lots and transforming them has the potential of bringing investors in to purchase the land and good neighbors to expand the neighborhood.
- HOW DOES THIS PROJECT WORK
Designate an abandoned lot in a community to carry out the project
- Connect with the community members to gather the support to clean the lot and the commitment to keep it clean.
- Schedule clean up days and invite the neighborhood to come join
- Install the art on the newly clean lot
- Celebrate the clean space with the community by hosting a pop up art exhibit and community gathering on the lot
- Meet with key neighborhood members and provide toolkit to help with maintaining the lot clean and to help create events and activities to occur on the lot year around.
The art that will be used in the pop up exhibits will be replicas or prints from local artists and in some cases, original art. Detroit has a vast creative community whose art goes unseen by a large part of the Detroit population. This project brings more culture to neighborhoods while supporting local artist.
See the proposal below:
Click here to download PDF with more details.